Sunday, March 18, 2012

Class is back in session

This morning I was watching Paul Gilding give a talk on sustainability on TED.com (a talk I recommend you check out). In the middle of listening to Paul talk about our need to make significant change now in order to assure the future sustainability of civilization, it dawned on me that it has been quite a while since I've visited the TED site. I then realized that the other learning opportunities/outlets in which I have regularly engaged had all gotten pushed somewhat to the margins of my life over the last several months. This was difficult to admit, especially given the fact that one of my stated core values is learning.

As I listened to Paul I realized that what I've been doing since at least sometime last year is not really learning, but simply gathering information in order to then disseminate that information to others. Now, given the fact that part of who I am and what I do involves speaking in various faith-based and non-faith-based settings, acquiring a certain amount of information necessary to giving the talk is part of the gig. But, it seems I've turned learning into nothing but information gathering. I am glad for this realization, especially given what is now unfolding in my life in terms of next steps and new direction. If ever there was a time I need to be student, it's now and so I'm grateful for this morning's realization. I'm not talking about making some huge life-shift here. Instead, it's simply a matter of a slight correction in thinking and approach, which is how most of the truly important changes happen for us anyway.

2 comments:

Lori McNelly said...

All 3 blogs make me think about 'how' I think. 'why' do I think the way I do and does this thinking line up with what I 'want to think, Want believe and, more importantly, actually walk out. Another great opportunity to look in the mirror and be honest. Very refreshing.
Thanks Jerry

Jerry Redman said...

Lori, glad the posts have created some questions for you. Thanks for your encouragement.