Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Thankful for July

Today's post is the first of fourteen blogs over a fourteen-day period that will focus specifically on being thankful. I am going to endeavor to articulate my reasons for thankfulness for specific people, events, activities, even dates on the calendar. I've never posted a series of blogs around a single theme, at least not beyond a Part 1 & Part 2 format. So, this is a new approach for me.

The idea to post a series about thankfulness came about simply because last week the thought that this might be a good thing popped into my head. There's been no significant event to catalyze this. Instead, I had an idea and decided to follow up on it. The reason I am beginning the series today is that I knew I wanted to communicate about this over a fourteen-day period, and I also knew I wanted that period to culminate on my birthday, July 15. So, it begins today.

I hope that you will find some inspiration in what creates thanksgiving in me and that inspiration will catalyze deeper thinking on your part that will lead to your own declarations about those things for which you are thankful. Whatever form your declarations of thankfulness may take, to live more thankfully is to be better at living, to be a better human being. If what I write does in fact inspire you, hopefully it will be so that you can in turn inspire others in your own way, through your own example of thankfulness.

With that being said, I am thankful today, July 2, because...

...it's July.

July is my second-favorite month (October being my most favorite). I have multiple reasons for this, but those things that stand out to me the most include:
  • July 1, 1979 is the anniversary of my first date with Jeanine. 35 years ago our journey began. That first date was the first of many that month alone, not to mention all the other ones that came along, then eventually engagement and now 32 years of marriage. Lots of memories, lots of moments to treasure. But, that first date is always a special memory. Two teenagers trying to figure out what to say to each other, both of us thrilled to be with each other, but afraid to show it. It's my favorite July memory. 
  • July means we've begun the second half of the year and I love new beginnings. It feels like a clean slate has been offered in the middle of the story of the year. 
  • July has always epitomized to me all the great things about summer. It seems to be the one month of the summer season that isn't touched by the other seasons in any way (Spring carries well into June, August sees a return of the school-year calendar, which means for students that Summer is over). Be it trips to the beach, the mountains, hearing people talk about their gardens, or just experiencing a feeling that maybe the pace of life is a touch more manageable, July has always been full of good things to me. 
  • July means we're moving into the hottest 2-month portion of the year (July & August). I'm not saying this because I love hot weather. Unless I'm at the beach, I don't enjoy it much at all. But, the fact that we've begun that 2-month period means we're that much closer to it being over. 
  • The latter part of July sees the opening of NFL training camps, which means another football season will begin soon, which means God's favorite sport is about to return (don't even think about arguing this fact with me...you will lose and lose mightily). Like I've already said, I love new beginnings, including the pre-beginning phase of new beginnings. And, I just love football. 
  • July is the month of my dad's birthday. I love my dad and I'm always glad to celebrate his life. Plus, the fact that he was born is a pretty important part of me having the opportunity to be born. 
  • July is also the month of my own birthday. I'll be 54 years-old this month. I've never been one who avoids discussion of my age or who gets down about getting older. I love the fact that I'm getting older and my birthday is a great reminder of what my journey has been to this point, and I am filled with hope that the journey ahead will a great one. 
I am thankful for July. I am thankful for many other things as well. I'll share another of those things with you tomorrow. 

Peace. 

No comments: