Monday, August 17, 2015

New York Day 3- Conspiracy of Hope

One of the great things about this trip is that I'm getting to cover many parts of the city, either for work or because I have enough free time to explore. Sunday was another such day, as Brooklyn, the Upper West Side, Midtown, Soho, and the West Village were all places where I was able to spend time.

The Upper West Side portion of the day was brunch at SaraBeth's with long-time friends Laura and Hugh Hale. Although I've gotten to see them frequently over the years when we all lived in the same town, it was extra special spending time with them here, as New York is now their home. By the way, the salmon eggs benedict at SaraBeth's is worth the trip. Great conversation with the Hales, and I appreciate their hospitality.

Next stop was Nat Sherman for some alone time and enjoyment of their fine establishment and products, followed by a brief adventure on the subway, where I got on the wrong train and instead of ending up on Bleecker St, I found myself in Queens. A quick jump back on the train and I made it to the theater with a few minutes to spare.

Sunday's show was the second performance of "Princess Cut" during the festival. This one had a unique feel to it from the beginning. Between a stifling hot theater, to someone deciding to walk into the theater, go behind the curtain, and start yacking on his phone right after the show began, I wondered how the cast and crew would deal with less than ideal circumstances.

The challenges made their performance that much more powerful. We talked afterwards about a shared sense of emotion, maybe even heaviness, that was present from the outset of the show. They felt it as actors, and I felt it as a member of the audience who is very familiar with the production. This deep sense of emotion carried over into the talkback session that I led afterwards. We had great questions and observations from both audience members and members of the cast. In fact, I think of all the times we've done this show, yesterday was the first time the cast was able to play a significant role in the talkback time. I'm planning on making this a regular part of all future post-show Q & A sessions.

As the talkback continued, tears showed up for at least a few of those there. The weight of the issue portrayed in the play, discussing what it means for all of us as members of our larger society, as well as our personal and shared responsibilities to turn the tide of trafficking in our communities, pressed down on all of us, causing some to need to emotionalize the weight. I felt the same weight, the same emotion.

I have come to New York desiring to reconnect with a city I deeply love, taking in all that I can of its variety and richness. But most of all, I have come here to work, to be part of what "Princess Cut" is designed to do...create thinking that leads to action on the issue of sex trafficking. It is work I am honored to do, it is work I am called to do. So may the weight and its accompanying emotion continue to show up for me and all of us who feel that calling. But, may we also feel the comfort of those beside us who know that same weight and emotion, knowing that we do this work together, that we are not alone.

And together, we can begin to relieve the weight on those whom this crime has directly and cruelly affected. None of us alone can move the needle on this issue, but together, truly together, with a willingness to take the long view and walk the long road, we cannot only move the needle, we can turn the tide, creating momentum that eventually ends the tragedy of trafficking.

Of course, the only thing that can stop us from doing this is choosing to believe that we can't. And if we choose that, shame on us. Truly, shame on us. But, I believe we can and will choose better, choose light over darkness, life over death, others over our own comfort. And we choose to do this together.

We are a conspiracy of hope.

No comments: