Saturday, August 29, 2015

New York Day 9- Afterthoughts

Waking up on Long Island last Saturday morning (after 2 hours sleep), I was anxious to take in as much of my surroundings as possible. It was a beautiful morning, and since I was the first one up in the house, I had the deck and backyard to myself. Sue, Kathy & Mike's next-door neighbor who came to several of the week's shows, talked to me a bit as she was coming back from a walk to a neighborhood store. Then the rest of the house started waking up. Kerri & Gaby and I sat together over coffee, re-living some of the night before, as well as the entire week.

Kerri then took me on a quick tour of her town (including the elementary and high schools she attended) on the way to her favorite bagel place. Taking in the beauty of Long Island was a treat, and once again I was filled with gratitude for all I was able to experience on this trip. When we got back to the house the Knoxville-based part of the cast and crew was loading up for the drive home. Lots of pictures, lots of hugs, lots of words of appreciation and love, and then they were on their way.

Shortly after that, Kathy & Mike drove me to LaGuardia for my own journey home. On a side note, last Saturday afternoon at LaGuardia reminded me of a recent bit Seth Myers did on his show, when he asked what word you get when you merge the words LaGuardia Airport & Hell. The answer? Hell. I agree.

Hugs and thanks were shared with Kathy & Mike and a bit later I'm flying home. An easy flight to Nashville, quick service at the rental car counter, driving through a hellacious thunderstorm, and then I'm home.

Home.

Jeanine.

The best part of the trip.

This wasn't my first time in New York, but it was certainly my most important trip to the city. I travelled there with a group of artists with whom I share a commitment to create awareness and action on the issue of sex trafficking. It was a trip about hope and humanity, and the belief that the world truly is changed when together we decide to bring light to the darkness. We went hoping to create change in the minds of the audiences. But, I believe we were also changed, or at least what we believe has been strengthened and expanded.

I have returned with an even deeper belief that this fight is not only necessary, it is winnable. It will take a long time, longer than I likely still have on this earth. But by living with the long view, the perspective that what we do echoes forward into the lives of people who will live beyond us, by being willing to plant trees whose shade we will never sit under, we can in fact turn the tide on this crime. The more the tide turns, the harder it becomes for those who commit this crime to do so successfully.

My hope is that the cast and crew of "Princess Cut" have been encouraged that what they're doing with this play and their individual gifts is making a real difference, a life and death difference. I hope (and believe) they are going to continue to bring art that matters to audiences who will be moved to action. People will be helped through their efforts. Lives will be saved.

Together we will keep doing what we do, what has been given to us to do, what we've been called to do. Others will join us. Maybe even you. More lives will be touched, more minds changed, more hearts moved, more collaborative action created. A seemingly small movement will grow large, then massive.

And then one day...

No comments: